We are hiring
Associate Scientist position is now open at BioXAS-Spectroscopy beamline. We are looking for a motivated PostDoc with strong background in EXAFS and hands-on experience with beamline instrumentation. Apply before March 31st!
XAS Workshop Videos
The videos from the2020 XAS Workshop at the CLS are on YouTube! Check back frequently as new videos are uploaded.
Recent Low Concentration Measurements
Recent sensitivity limits of BioXAS-Spectroscopy Main. Including: A Se 115 ppm EXAFS measurement of NIST 611 standard, a sub-ppm measurements of a solid sample - Au L3 edge and a 1 ppm Eu XANES on NIST 614 standard. For more info: https://bioxas-spectroscopy.lightsource.ca/sensitivity-limits/
BioXAS Spectroscopy Beamlines
There are two Hight-Sensitivity Spectroscopy Beamlines at BioXAS: Main and Side. They were specially designed to measure the XAS spectra of transition elements in bulk Biological samples with very diluted concentrations. In practice, this means the photon flux is usable from 5 to 32 keV (it peaks at ~12 keV), and that they have very sensitive fluoresce detectors. These makes the beamlines also very capable for Material and Environmental Science studies as well, where the concentration of the elements of interest are typically higher than in biological samples, so they are easier to measure.
- x-ray absorption near edge structure (XANES)
- Extended X-ray absorption fine structure (EXAFS)
Example Research Areas
- Chemical forms of trace elements, metals, and metalloids in purified metalloproteins isolated from various biological tissues; for example, human disease specimens, plants, toxic wastes
- Speciation of toxic elements in mine impacted environment
- Speciation and crystal structure investigation of materials with applications as semiconductors, memory shape alloys, and catalyzers, among others.
List of Publications »
- Schoepfer, Valerie A.; Lindsay, Matthew B.J. (2022). X-ray absorption spectroscopy and X-ray diffraction data for molybdenu .... Data in Brief 45, 108576. 10.1016/j.dib.2022.108576.
- Schoepfer, Valerie A.; Lindsay, Matthew B.J. (2022). Repartitioning of co-precipitated Mo(VI) during Fe(II) and S(-II) driv .... Chemical Geology 610, 121075. 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2022.121075.
- Chadirji-Martinez, Kamil; Grosvenor, Andrew P.; Crawford, Andrew; Chernikov, Roman; Heredia, Emillio et al. (2022). Thorium speciation in synthetic anhydrite: Implications for remediatio .... Hydrometallurgy 214, 105965. 10.1016/j.hydromet.2022.105965.
Office Location: 2070
Tel. +1 306-657-3814
Office Location: 2074